Wednesday, January 5, 2011

In a land far far away......

There is a beautiful town in New Zealand called Waverly, which I have never visited but hope to one day.  I know this is a beautiful town because my sister Alison and my niece and nephew Kaela and Luke live there.  My brave sister over 5 years ago finished her teaching degree in Michigan and decided it was time for a change.  She was offered the opportunity to teach in New Zealand and she jumped at the chance.  They packed all the stuff they could carry and headed off on a new adventure.  We talk as often as we can via telephone and it's great to hear their voices.  In one of my last calls my nephew Luke said to me "Aunt Lana you sound so different this time".  Nothing takes the place of being with your family or even hearing their voice but nowadays most of the updates I get from them come via Facebook in the form or pictures and posts. Facebook has a unique way of making you feel like you are right there with them. So I have come to love New Zealand as much as my sister does as she shares their experiences and adventures online. I get to sit on the sidelines to view my niece in her rowing competitions, open their Christmas presents and even check out the local boy my niece is "in a relationship" with.  Useful information that I may never have known otherwise. So here's to New Zealand for welcoming my family into your beautiful home and cheers to Facebook for keeping us connected. So anyone who wants to come with me, pack your bags, grab your travel guide and let's go!  I have to warn you though, you may not want to come back.

1 comment: